Thursday, August 26, 2010

Planning ~ It's where you're going

“Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning.” ~ Thomas Edison

In a recent coaching session, I brought back one of my favorite old tools; mind mapping. This particular client was feeling frustrated with the progress and direction of her business. She is very creative and has a lot of great ideas, and after talking a bit, we discovered that she was attempting to go in too many directions at one time. She felt like she was going and going and going...nowhere. She is immensely talented and has a great line of products. Together, we decided that what she needed was a road map. I took out a piece of poster board (I'll let her show it too you at a later date.) and began with a drawing of her logo in the center. Then we drew branches out from the center and began labeling them with the different aspects of her business. At this point, she was beginning to see the scope of her business. We decided to focus on one aspect of the business in that session. This gave her a clear direction and set of action steps for the next week. I received a call from her this morning exclaiming how excited she is about the plan and that she can see where she's taking her business now.

I love those kinds of calls! :-) She inspired me to take out my first mind map and take a look at how far I've come since I created it. Wow! Amazing! It is such a testimony to visualization and planning.

If you feel stuck in life, or have a project in mind you would like some direction with...mind mapping is a great tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment