Monday, August 16, 2010

Order


“Those who lead disciplined and orderly lifestyles they achieve all their goals and progress.” ~ Yajur Veda

I've said it before, I crave order. To me, organized books, towels, shoes, files, drawers, etc. are a beautiful thing. I like knowing that when I need my tweezers, I will find them on the third shelf in my bath room vanity cabinet, right in front of the nail clippers. I find it stressful to work in an unorganized kitchen or with a cluttered desk. I just feel better when things are neat and orderly. Not in an OCD kind of way, but in that calm, relaxed sort of way. I better serve my clients when I can immediately access their information or a relevant book from my shelves when they call. Everyday living seems to put so many demands on us already it just seems that creating order makes life easier and more enjoyable.

Years ago, like 2 decades, a story in the Bible had a huge impact on me. It was about the building of the first temple. I was amazed at the detail that went into describing the materials they used. Not only the type of material, but the exact quantity and measured cuts of lumber. At that point in my life, I really didn't see the point in the minute detail, and it wasn't until years later I recalled that passage and it actually meant something to me. Now it represented the importance of discipline and order in our lives. The Temple was truly magnificent.

When we live orderly and disciplined lifestyles we free ourselves from wading through clutter and chaos. We can spend more time on the activities and relationships that matter the most in our lives. We make a bigger more significant impact not only in our own lives but also in the world. What one thing in your life creates chaos on a daily basis. Lost keys, cell phones, unpaid bills, forgotten dates? How might you make a permanent change so that you will free yourself from that stress?

No comments:

Post a Comment