Wednesday, January 12, 2011

29 Gifts ~ Day 9 Just a note to say hello...and I'm thinking of you :-)

This was another easy one as my high school BFF is always in my thoughts. After high school we lost touch and after 2 decades I began to search for her through google, classmates.com, etc. It is often harder to find women because we change our names when we get married and that was so with Sara. Feeling pretty nostalgic about 5 years ago during the holiday season, I signed on to my classmates.com account and searched for her. She wasn't there, but both her sisters were! I wrote them both to say hello and letting them know I was looking for her. Long story short, we reconnected after 22 years! Sara and her husband flew out here and we spent time catching up. Afterward, we spoke on the phone every Sunday for about a year. Then, tragically, her daughter-in-law suddenly died and Sara was left to care for her grandchildren and our calls became fewer and fewer and now, we only talk about once a year. She is never far from my thoughts though...and my gift to her is a personal note letting her know that I am thinking of her, that she is important in my life, and that I will always be here for her.

A note for Sara
The one thing I know about spontaneous letter writing, is that you never know what kind of impact it will have on your recipient. I have been blessed to have had God's timing on my side and have written notes seemingly randomly, only to find out later that my letter was just the comfort needed at that moment in life, or that it was the inspiration to do art again. A seemingly simple and inexpensive gift can have an enormous impact. Now, I don't know if Sara will just read my note and smile...or if it will be just what she needs to hear right now. What I do know, is that people don't know they are on your mind...unless you let them know. 

Today I am grateful for:

1) Dinner at home three nights in a row :-)
2) My sweet, remarkable clients
3)My beautiful Arizona Ash Tree baring only her winter skeleton. She gives me the seasons

Minnie Mouse ~ Silly Girl
I just captured this photo of Minnie Mouse laying sprawled out in the family room for an afternoon nap and thought you might enjoy...:-)

Here's a link to the 29 Gifts Website in case you want to check it out. Have a beautiful day! ~ Blessings, Janet

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful gift to your friend. I am sure it will be a special gift to her when she opens it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Janet,
    I'm mentioning this on your blog because I don't know if you'll get to check the answer to your comment on my blog. Whewww.... does that make sense? Guess so. I really like your ideas and common sense for targeting (oops, is that a suggestive word to trigger (another one) some gun-happy nut case. I'll cut the comic and say that I like your sentiments and you sound like I did when i was your age.

    On this post of best friends. My best friend is Marilyn. We've been best friends for over 50 years and try to talk on the phone every single day since we've known each other. If you enter into my blog archives, you'll find occasional posts of Marilyn. In all this time, we've never had a cross word or a bad feeling for the other. We've shared this friendship through lovers, husbands, kids, grandkids and now old age. Our lives are so intertwined that it's hard to remember whose is what!!! Our continued love and respect of each other has to be karmic because it feels more like family than our blood family.

    I've been meaning to write a post as to how Marilyn and I met and I thank you for reminding me. Great post. Keep and honor that love and friendship with your high school best friend. The trust grows and grows throughout the years.
    Love and peace, Manzanita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my beautiful friend!
    Ok, now that is just a little scary that you and I would share the exact same gift in the exact same way on the exact same day. Never before has the phrase "great minds think alike" rang so true - I love it! :) Then again, if there are hundreds of other people out there participating in the challenge, maybe there are more hand-written notes than just yours and mine floating out there waiting to be delivered. :)

    I'm so glad to see you keeping up with the daily gifts and continuing to blog about them...your posts keep me motivated to continue on (and it's hard, am I right?!).

    I hope you are having a lovely week...can't wait to see what you did for Day 10!

    xoxo
    Angie

    ReplyDelete