Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Opportunity Cost ~ This Starbucks Cost Me What??????

During my nieces visit this weekend, I had the opportunity to talk about "Opportunity Costs." My niece was purchasing a gift for a birthday party she was attending and the jersey she was looking at cost $60. Did I mention the birthday was for a 5 year old who would likely grow out of the jersey next month? :-) Anyway, she seemed to be agonizing a bit over the price so I jumped up on my soapbox and talked to her about whether she wanted to make a contribution to Cardinal football player Tim Hightower's child's college education, or would she rather send her own son. She chose a $20 t-shirt.


What does that have to do with Starbucks? Nothing :-) Unless you are like my daughter and millions of others who love their daily latte. Financial expert David Bach calls it the latte factor. A couple of years ago, Brandi decided to add up the cost of her monthly Starbucks habit and was appalled to learn that it was $160 that month. She quickly cut back realizing that she could have purchased airfare for a California beach vacation.  She had mindlessly made it a habit to run through Starbucks on her way to work every day and hadn't realized what the cost was adding up to.

We tend to do that with a lot of things, don't we? Magazines, books, food, shoes, etc., fill our homes and our tummies, and give us a short term fix, or instant gratification which quickly fades and needs to be filled again. When we are patient, hold a vision for something greater and save for it, the reward is often much longer lasting. What could you be saving for now? What is your latte factor?

8 comments:

  1. I no longer buy a coffee everyday either... even tho Starbucks has always been a treat....I gave up my daily cappucino at work which only added up to about 28 bucks a month but I love having that extra $$ in the pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I work in the city.. cappuccinos are definitely my thing.. my addiction.. also.. driving to work and paying for parking.. but.. considering I was working 90hr weeks.. driving was saving me from total exhaustion.. so in that case the opportunity cost.. of getting home a bit quicker was worth it...

    Funny.. i am usually the one going on about this.. hahaha.. although somethings are worth it... Have a lovely week.. ciao xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm your newest follower via Follow Me Back Tues. Hope you'll consider following me back J
    Malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the old cliche "Penny wise and dollar foolish" may fit a lot of us. I control spending on some little things and then go out and blow a bunch on something that is impulse buying. Go figure, huh???

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my students, college age, recently quit smoking just for $$ savings factor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is crazy how much Starbucks is. I am tracking my expediture for the year. I am sure that when the weather gets warmer, so will my desire for a Caramel Frappucinno!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim ~ It is nice when we realize it really isn't a huge sacrifice.

    Julie ~ Some things are worth it and I love the little Keurig machine my step son gave me for Christmas...I thought it would help me tame the beast...instead the variety was like fueling a fire. Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon.

    Malia ~ Thanks for visiting. I will definitely check out your blog.

    Manzanita ~ Always a pleasure. I know, huh??? :-) I guess we just have to have that "Big Goal" tatooed on our hand!

    Brenda ~ Quitting smoking has its own benefits that far outweigh the $$ savings. Great for your student. Thanks for stopping by.

    Carmie ~ I remember your post on Starbucks raising prices. I just discovered Frapps this year. Oh how dangerous they are! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. 173視訊影音聊天室
    Live 173免費視訊聊天
    台灣辣妹影音視訊聊天室
    超激情辣妹免費視訊視頻聊天室
    173免費視訊
    Live173-影音視訊聊天室-免費視訊
    UT聊天視訊辣妹聊天室
    視訊交友聊天室
    Live173視訊交友聊天
    視訊美女聊天
    luoluo 9直播間美腿視頻網站免費在線倫理電影一夜情美女交友俱樂部六合彩研究院論壇
    qq直播間色情裸聊表演qq號碼聊天室哪個黃全色情A片快播人妻電影eney伊莉論壇首頁網址
    秀色裸聊免費直播間免費夫妻視頻真人秀床友交友網同城全球最大成人色情網站找樂子論壇
    秀色裸聊直播間午夜同城交友聊天社區天天色綜合小說成人色情電影網址男人幫論壇首頁
    秀色秀場裸聊直播間午夜美女真人聊天室約愛同城交友約愛同城交友是真的嗎微風論壇18禁區

    ReplyDelete